Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Christ, Our High Priest



I don’t know about you, but I love hearing the Christmas story.  It’s a joy to hear the awesome words of the prophet Isaiah, “For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given.”  And in Luke’s gospel, to read the beauty of the words spoken to Mary, “Rejoice, highly favored one, the Lord is with you. You will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name Jesus.”  These stories are majestic proclamations of the coming of a King….our King!  And we, experience the timeless wonder that God, the Father would send God, the Son, as a babe.  The Redeemer of mankind sovereignly placed in the arms of a young couple.  His ways are undoubtedly superior to our ways.

The image of the babe in the manger has literally and figuratively captured our world.  Nativity scenes appear globally in this season.  But this year, for me, it isn’t the presentation of the babe in the manger that has captured my attention, but it’s the presentation of Christ, Our High Priest that has impressed my heart.  The words that leave me awestruck in this season are from Hebrews 10:5 - 7 –
 
     Therefore, when He came into the world, He said: "Sacrifice and offering You did
   not desire, But a body You have prepared for Me.  In burnt offerings and sacrifices
   for sin You had no pleasure. Then I said, 'Behold, I have come-- In the volume of the
   book it is written of Me - To do Your will, O God.' "                               

When I consider that Jesus came as High Priest, not attired in costly robes, linens, headdress or ephod, but that He came bare into the world and accomplished His priestly duties bare upon a cross, I’m struck by the perfection of God’s ways.  I sense the magnificence of His deep love and wisdom.  His love expressed in the fact that Christ came to earth for mankind.  His wisdom expressed in the fact that Christ came to serve.  Through Christ, the foreshadows of the Old Testament received new light and our pattern for life was set forth!  Our High Priest has made us to be priests, accepted into the beloved.  And we are a priesthood who serve of the Most High !

     Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler 
     over the kings of the earth. To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins 
     in His own blood, and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father.                   
                                                                                                Revelation 1:5-6

I rejoice in this Christmas season that I have been cleansed from a sinful hopeless life.  I rejoice in knowing that my life has purpose and meaning. Christ has made me a priest who serves a holy God.  Amazing Grace!  I’m grateful to serve as He did!  My service is an opportunity, not an obligation.  I’m thankful to understand that service is the pathway by which we are matured, conformed into His image and prepared for eternity!

      And there shall be no more curse, but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be 
      in it, and His servants shall serve Him.                                         Revelation 22:3

Oh, come let us adore Him!

Merry Christmas Beloved!

No comments:

Post a Comment