Wednesday, June 8, 2011

My life is in His hands…… Part 1

How well are you handling the seasons of your life?

Ecclesiastes 3:1 states, ‘There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under heaven’.  As random as the days of our life may appear, our omniscient God has a set time for every activity, for all the ‘happenings’ in our lives. He stewards our days. And those days, collectively, make up a season ….a season of ‘beginnings and endings’ lived out under the watchful eye of a mighty God.  Isaiah 46:10 confirms that it is He who declares the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things that are not yet done, Saying, 'My counsel shall stand, And I will do all My pleasure.'

So what I find interesting about life is that for all my planning, preparing and maneuverings, I have very little input (if any) into the comings and goings of the seasons of my life.  The prophet Daniel states, ‘He changes the times and the seasons; He removes kings and raises up kings; He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding.’ (Dan 2:21) 

It is He who controls the seasons of my life!  Were I given a choice, there would be some seasons that I would love to last forever, like my season of raising children.  I’ve loved parenting, having my children together in one household! It’s been one of the greatest joys of my life.  But to be honest, for them to remain home forever (and ever Amen!) would be detrimental to their growth and development. So, by the wisdom of God, our children grow into adulthood, leave home, and establish their own households.  In contrast, there are some seasons that I would love to end quickly, like times of financial hardship and/or physical infirmity.  Actually, it would be ok with me to bypass these seasons altogether.  But once again, I see the wisdom of God in seasons of difficulty.  I see how life’s hardships cause me to draw closer to Him.  In difficult seasons I realize my dependence and need of the Lord.  I’m aware of how the hardships of life shape and develop my character.  These challenges make me stronger, more compassionate and more suitably used by Him.  I can’t think of anyone used mightily by God, who didn’t first experience trials and sufferings.

Eccl 3:1 also speaks of order, God’s order. He is not random and He’s not random concerning you!  He’s a God of purpose and design.  And He’s in control, but more importantly we’re not! 

There’s a Part 2 to this discussion. Until then, let me leave you with this precious promise!

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future!’                                                 Jeremiah 29:11

Be at peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment